[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Wolfram's Malifaux Adventures - Page 2 - WestGamer
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:48 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:35 pm 

Hah, thanks Sam - it's been a bit of an obsession lately, so I've had plenty of motivation to get the paint on them. The airbrush helps speed the process up too, but, surprisingly enough, these guys have taken my attention away from Fallout 4. I'm glad to hear that you like the clean style, too; I considered doing them grittier, but I have done plenty of models in 'realisitc' condition, or closer to it, and figured that the art style in Malifaux lent itself well to bright colours, so that's what I've gone for.

I've just about finished up 3 Guild Riflemen now; progress was slower on the Guild stuff than I had anticipated, but once these guys are done (maybe another 2 hours work?) I'll only have 3 Death Marshalls and the Scales of Justice to paint, and then that's my second crew completed. There are a couple of other Guild pieces that I have that I'll get to (Perdita and an Executioner come to mind), but once those are done, it's just a case of waiting for my black friday order to come in, along with the combat company order I place on Thursday...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:56 pm 

Well, having been in for surgery on my leg, things were a little disrupted. Add to that an obsession with Fallout 2 over the past week, and progress has been quite slow. Still, I managed to finish off 3 Guild Riflemen today, which is a nice achievement. I am really unmotivated to paint my Death Marshalls and the Scales of Justice though, so I might give the Malifaux painting a brief rest and return to some Infinity for a bit. Still, there will be plans to finish these models off by the end of the year, so that when my next lot of models arrives, I can get straight to building and painting new shinys, not models I've owned for a couple of years already.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:00 am 

What are the blue and magenta you're using? I wouldn't have thought of that colour scheme, but they really are terrific together!

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:05 am 

Come to Gamagori on Sunday!

Trying to organize a bunch of people to come play.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:40 pm 

Quote:
What are the blue and magenta you're using? I wouldn't have thought of that colour scheme, but they really are terrific together!
Thanks! The inspiration behind the colour scheme is the work of Ariel Zucker-Brull, who is an illustrator/ artist with a real penchant for retro-wave stuff (he's done the covers for plenty of retro-wave projects, including some of the bigger releases in the genre, like Perterbator's "Dangerous Days"). You can check his stuff here: http://arielzuckerart.blogspot.com.au/

The magenta is mostly GW paints, but the most important element that really makes it pop is a Vallejo paint. I'm starting with GW's Screamer Pink, then giving it a wash with Leviathan Purple (that's definitely an old wash; I'm not sure what the current equivalent is, but this pot has lasted me since washes first came out, and it's only about 1/3 down, so I've no idea of the current wash is comparable). Then, I go over and do my first broad highlight with the Screamer Pink again, and then go to Vallejo Model Color 70.735 Magenta Fluo (or Fluoro, and this is just a typo on the bottle...). The pigment in the fluoro magenta is quite weak, despite the seemingly bright colour of the paint, and so once I've watered it down to the proper consistency, it is easy to build up highlights with it without it coming out as a straight fluoro magenta.

The blue that I've used on the pants and for the pouches uses a Vallejo Model Air paint, 71113 - US Intermediate Blue, as a base colour, and then I've given it a wash with the Secret Weapon Blue Black wash. Then I've just gone and re-highlighted with the US Intermediate again, and called it a day.

The turquoise that I've got starts off as a P3 Meredius Blue, and then on the Rail Crew at the start, I've put a P3 Turquoise Ink over it for some depth. That took a couple of layers though, so I tried going back to my old standby of the GW wash Asurmen Blue on the Guild models - it isn't as nice as the turquoise ink, but it is quicker. Once I've finished the wash, I again go back over the highlights with the P3 Meredius Blue, and call that a day - the only lighter turquoise colours I can find tend to have too much blue in them, so short of mixing up my own highlight for them, I don't have too many options. Once I paint some more models wih armour that has turqoise paneling though, I'll probably muck about and find a highlight colour for it that I'm happy with.

As for games on Sunday, I still can't drive for that long post-operation. 40 minutes or so would be the limit, but unfortunately Gamagori is an hour's drive, given no traffic holdups. In another week I should be good to go though!