[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
SBS: Forest with removable trees (Tutorial) - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:08 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:58 pm 

Managed to get my hands on a goodie box of buildings from 4ground and trees from Heki, courtesy of advanceop. More than enough to make up a table but needed to do something with the trees, so this was my solution.

This is part 1; assembly. Part 2 will come later as I move on to detailing the bases and painting. For this, you will need 4mm MDF or thinner and a bunch of trees you want to use.

First step is sketching out a rough design. I went with a variety of roughly oval shapes with a few split in half to allow for terrain on the edges of the table. These were then cut out with a jigsaw and the finished cut shape was used as a template to mark out a second batch of the exact same shapes. After marking, the shapes were numbered in pairs, the top part used as the stencil being 1-1 and the bottom being 1-2 and so on.

Second step was to grab a holesaw and drill random holes throughout one the x-1s (tops). A holesaw is used because we want the punch-out that's left over. For these trees, I used 25mm seeing as they are smallish but you can scale it up or down with the trees. Drill roughly on one side, then finish the holesaw through the other side to stop the surface tearing. After drilling, use a sanding block to clean up the top facing edge of the holes. Don't need to sand it down a lot, just to clean up the cut edge.

Now that we have our top and bottom, glue em together. You will need something heavy to weigh them down while it dries because it will warp otherwise. I used spare paving blocks.

Repeat this step with all of the remaining pairs, remembering to keep the hole punch outs.

While the bases are drying, start on the punch outs. You will need to clean up the cut edge. Doesn't need to be perfect, just doesn't want stuff hanging off it. Aim to match the one on the right. I didn't want to use a belt sander for this, so I clamped a length of sandpaper to my work bench and worked like that.

When they're cleaned up, start glueing trees in them. I just squirted a little bit of pva glue on the stalk of the tree, then poked it through and squirted a bit more on the base, then smeared it around and twisted the shaft a few times to spread the glue. The hole will probably be larger than you need, so don't be afraid to use a lot of glue. Arbor bits are generally 5.5-6mm, but this can't be helped. Rinse and repeat with all of your trees.

Don't stress about the stalk sticking out. When it's dry, you can use a pair of clippers to cut it flush with the base. Now, if like me you're doing this on a hot day, chances are the glue on the bases will be dry enough to work on. Set your jigsaw so that the base is on a fairly steep incline (see the picture), then use this incline to clean up the overlapping edges of the base and give it a nice slope.

After all the bases are cut down, sand the top edge nice and smooth.

Voila. Tiny forest with removable trees. This is a good compromise for any system that treats the base as the area of effect and in this case, is being used for Flames of War.

Last edited by DaveGlasson.PAGS on Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:10 pm 

Photobucket or Westgamer do not like displaying long vertical images. Stick with me. Trying to fix whatever is wrong with those photos.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable