[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Hutch's Universal Hobby Realated Blog thingy - Bolt Action - - Page 4 - WestGamer
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:04 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:36 am 

Thanks for that. An interesting little read.

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Want to get into BATTLETECH? Chuck me a PM.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:46 pm 

My pleasure, glad you thought it was interesting too. I am fortunate that work takes me to the RAAF museum on occasion and that has opened my eyes to how much really cool and unique stuff we still have in museums here. Bull Creek has a real Mark 22 Spitfire for example (there is no cooler plane on earth IMHO). Plus veterans who are happy to about the planes they fought in or worked on. A privilege to talk with them!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:38 pm 

Well it's been a while. I haven't been lazy, I've just been tied up with commission work and also squeezed in a relaxing family holiday.

So today I painted up some Eden figures.
Four members of the Bamaka Clan to be precise.
If you have never heard of Eden it's a really fast passed fun skirmish game with forces averaging about 4 figures. The starter sets are excellent with each being a fully playable force. The rules are free to download but if your like me, there is a rather splendid hardback set available.

There are some really good mechanics in the game system, for example. A faster character can interrupt the turn of a slower character. You have action points to burn in your turn, but you may want to save some so you can dodge or counterattack.
Missions, so many missions. 47 of them in fact. To add to that each player can be playing a completely different mission with different objectives and even different deployment.
NPC's. Yep you can have wandering creatures and degenerate undead types roaming the battlefield. There is even a creature that is pretty similar to the Alien, and just as scary in combat.
Tactical cards, 60 of them. Each turn you can employ a different tactic, if you want, to help you achieve your goals.

If you can't tell, I love this game.

Anyway. Onto the figures.

And all Bamaka Clan together

A normal game is 100 points, my force all together comes in at over 200 points so I have options to swap characters in and out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:52 pm 

They look cool, I've heard about Eden, might look into it

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:49 pm 

They look beautiful Hutch, the blue on them really gives them a look of eerie deadliness. I love their creepy masks, I will be getting these guys eventually too.

Though the ISC are seriously tempting...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:13 pm 

Thanks guys.

Looking forward to the day you get done models Peter, they will look awesome with your brush skills. Both the factions you like the look of can be built on a really small budget as it's possible to field forces of just 3 figures for both.

Nathan, if your ever back this way I'm sure we can hook you up with a game.

This mornings offerings are rather slim as I got busy doing other stuff because the misses was home. Anyway progress is progress.

5 models for the Eden Horde faction. The good thing about these is you can either have them as NPC's on the table or by adding a Master you can have them as a playable force. The Horde, as the name suggests, is Edens swarm style army. With lots of low cost troops you could probably field 7-8 characters in a normal 100 point game. Not the toughest out there but they can do well in a war of attrition.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:06 am 

Those are very good Hutch. You need to stop tempting other people to new money-drain games with painted minis :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:52 am 

Can attest to the quality of these models. The great colour scheme and painting style really makes the models pop. Very enjoyable playing against the painted force and I hope to repay the pleasure with a painted force of my own.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:51 am 

Thanks guys. Great game last night, I think we are both getting better with our tactics. Adding in Non Player Fighters roaming the battlefield certainly adds an extra element and level of tactics.

Sorry for tempting more money expense, but it's a very cheap game to get into. Roughly $55 Aus gets you a full 100 point force, with all the cards, counters, some missions and tactics cards specific to the force and s mini rule book. (Starter set) and the starter sets all have pretty good selections. In fact we are pretty much running starter sets at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:31 pm 

Managed to finish off my little Eden Horde faction today. Really enjoyed painting these figures. Once I have cleared some more from the painting queue I may look at buying a few more to bulster their numbers.
Again more then enough for a standard game.

And the lot together.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:57 pm 

They look really creepy, the skin tones are great. I'm looking forward to painting some of these models. What's the quality of the sculpts like?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:12 pm 

The sculpts are really good with minimal flash and mound lines. For the most part they go together really well. Some of the spears can be a bit on the thin side but despite that, I've not had one break yet.

ISC are next in line on the painting table. Probably go with something quick and easy on those.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:04 pm 

Finished of a few bits for the Eden ISC faction. Just quick paint jobs to get them usable on the table. I may go back to them later and add more detail, but for now I'm happy with them.

And the group shot. Once again, far more points then is needed for a game. A normal force for ISC will only consist of 3 figures, unless you field some of their cheaper options in which case you may get 4 models into a 100 point force.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:33 pm 

They look Pretty cool, It doesn't really look like my cup of tea, but you have done a great job painting these minis, Whats with the dude and the body strapped to him? Is he meant to be some kind of voodoo dude?

The gem/ green mask effect on the ISC guy looks pretty good

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:33 pm 

Thanks.

The guy with the body strapped to him is kind of a Zombie master do I guess Voodoo would sum it up nicely.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next