Alrighty roo. Time for an update. X-posted from my WGAU blog.
As a part of our escalation league, we get bigger toys. Following the unit structure of a single reinforced platoon, I can have one reccon vehicle, one tank-type (incl destroyers etc) type vehicle and a transport for each unit.
What I've opted for is a Jeep (as previous), M4 Sherman (with 75mm gun) and a M8 GreyHound APC.
Artillery wise I've picked up a 105mm Howitzer (which doesn't make the photos as it's in the mail).Historically, the 5th Infantry Division were supported in WWII by the 5th Division Artillery, consisting of the 19th, 46th, 50th and 21st Field Artillery Battallions, each sporting 18x 105mm Howitzers each.
As an aside, with the lickings that the boys have suffered in their 2 games to date, they will be running as Engineer squads from now on (so they get more toys and the option of being Veteran). This means I may need to add a '7' to their sleeves or backs of helmets to signify their
place in the 7th Combat Engineer Battalion.
I guess, my decision making for the Greyhound was two-fold: I wanted a vehicle with the Recce special rule, I've just picked up
some .30cal Machine Gun teams (which locks me out of a .50 Machine gun team, it's one or the other) and as I went with the 105mm Howitzer, I also locked myself out of an Anti-Tank gun.
The Greyhound addresses these short falls, as the main gun is a M6 37mm AT gun, with a forward facing .30cal machine gun and an optional .50 cal pintle-mounted machine gun, making it a bit of an all-rounder.
Lucky for me (getting my history nerd on for the last time here, I swear) the 5th also had the 5th Reconnaissance Troop (Mechanised) attached when they were activated for the WWII roll out.
So historically AND game-wise it fills a role and also seems a legit choice.
Similar to the US Infantry build, I thought I'd do an unboxing for those of you who don't collect Bolt Action. So here is an unboxing of the Greyhound APC.
I tried some fancy photoediting shenanigans (using MS Paint on a work computer). But don't worry, I won't be doing that again.
I picked it up from Tactics... support your locals peeps!
OK - so what's in the box?
Unwrapping the bubble wrap you get the resin body of the Greyhound and a bag of lead.
For the most part the kit was pretty nice, but some of the edges were a bit gacky.
I would need to GS this if I wanted a nice, parade ground finish. ...but I am going to be weathering it up so I should be able to dry brush it and make it look a bit beatup before covering it up with my basing mixture.
That's the .50cal HMG, headlights and brackets and stowage shackles to the side.
Resin cast from the bottom, turret components to the right. It looks pretty bad, but all of these bits are completely hidden from sight so it's not a big deal.
Built time was great. The instructions were on the back of the box (if you scroll up^) and the longest part of it was straightening the weapon barrels. The guns still need a little bit more straightening (being lead and smooshed in to a ziplock with all the other bits will do that) which I've done since the photos as I want to cast a .50cal machine gun to make another Infantry team (for later expansion!).
Then I got the airbrush out and also picked up my first Vallejo paints (ever!) for this project. The Russian Green Primer and Cam Green model air paint.
To the right you can see my earlier attempts at mixing my own airbrush green using the army painter Army Green paint (to do the hull of the M4 Sherman). That pock-mark is where the paint was thinned too far which served for the motivation to get the pre-mix stuff.
The tank turret actually had the similar pock-mark across the top of the turret (above the barrel) which covered well with the Vallejo primer, so I'm not worried about it.
Here it is with the primer and a 1:1 Primer / Cam Green mix sprayed on with the tyres picked out. Total time on the model so far ~2 hours.
I think the Warlord kits have a few issues when it comes to scaling (the Greyhound apparently has a 4 man crew inside it somewhere) but visually, the kits are pretty damn close to the real-world.
I've got some random packs and tarpaulin's that I will paint separately and add later to give it a bit more life. That .50cal mount on the refurbished version isn't the WWII variant so it looks a little different.
So that's it for the unboxing. Other than a few gacky bits on the resin, I really rate the kit. I think I made them worse by trying to clean them, but what evs. If I was pedantic and wanted that parade ground finish, I'd have squared it back with greenstuff. The next photos you see will be the finished products. Painting is 1000x quicker with an airbrush!
Thanks for reading.