[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Raein's back into the hobby blog (WARLORD UPDATES) - WestGamer
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:19 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:27 pm 

So I have been away from the hobby side of things for way too long now. I've recently started FIFO work and I am always up and down from Albany and Perth and I have managed to find myself in love with so many games that I forgot existed and ones that I didn't really knew were around. So basically I have started this to hopefully keep myself motivated to paint, do awesome bases for the minis and just get my painting better as I suck. Updates will probably be every three weeks or so.

I guess I should start off with something that I am working on shouldn't I? :)

So I recently found myself being drawn into a new skirmish game developed by Reaper Miniatures, called Warlord. At the moment I am loving this game for it's simplicity and fast paced action and beautiful miniatures and rules. With so many factions to choose from I decided that my first faction should be something simple, so I decided that Crusaders would be a good start. I know you'll be saying why humans, it's always humans. they have some interesting units that I really like, I mean angels with axes and can break face why not, and a beast that could be battle cat from He-man also win :)

So Here are what I have unit wise for the Crusaders:
- Duke Gerard
- Justicars
- Hospatiler
- Uriel, Guardian Angel
- Garr, War Dog
- Ian, Mage Apprentice
- Saramonde, Chornicler

Last edited by Raein on Thu May 21, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:32 pm 

I look forward to seeing them painted, they look like cool models. I'm a fan of blogs for motivation!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:35 pm 

Okay so i guess this will be update #1. I have started on a couple of the miniatures from the list above, some were to work out skin tones as i hate painting skin it is one thing i cannot do well.... really cant paint at all :) but practice makes perfect so here goes nothing i guess :)

So Uriel and Garr are first on my to do list, Uriel mainly cause he is a kick ass angel and garr cause he is smaller then the rest but still a pain to do i may end up stripping him and redoing him as i am not happy with how he turned out :(

Uriel's wings:

I am not sure on these it was sort of the style i was looking for but it didn't quite work out like it thought i was trying to go for that mottled hawk or eagle look i cant think of what else to do other then strip it back and try again maybe start from lighter to dark or stay with darker to light and maybe try different washes and etc. i don't know if you can see the color change in the wings i was trying to make that quite prominent :( but a lighter and good note i think that Uriel's base is basically ready to have the finishing touches added once the other stuff i ordered gets here :)

Garr the War Dog:

Not sure where i was going with this model, i think i was maybe trying to use to much paint and washes which in a way wouldn't have worked together, the little mongrel is too shiny and now i think that having him in a brown tone doesn't quite work or i haven't mastered it yet. but one note his base is ready to go and just waiting for an awesomely painted war dog. unfortunately i haven't got good lighting to take any photos of it, but i will post what i have of it at the moment. in the photo of Garr you can see me mucking around with another model on a cape color.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:19 am 

Looking fantastic champ :D and i don't know why you were stressed by the wings they look great 8)

the bases are coming up mint too, more skulls is never enough :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:58 am 

Quote:
Looking fantastic champ :D and i don't know why you were stressed by the wings they look great 8)

the bases are coming up mint too, more skulls is never enough :twisted:
Cheers mate, yeah I thought the bag would have had more in it when I bought it Damn photos being deceiving lol

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:21 pm 

Okay time for another update, i ran out of white primer *ugh* just as i was starting to think of how i wanted sheilds to look on some of the miniatures, so a trip into town was warranted so i went to bunnings and grabbed some random primer called duramax.... probably not a good idea i dont think the paint liked to stick to it and it to the mini :( but i thought i would give it a go so i managed to get all the shields base coated and some paint on them but i am not to sure on the colors i chose whether i should have gone one color instead of two and it doesn't look right seems maybe grainy so i may strip them back again and start again, the only one i may be happy with is the shield from Gerard. i also managed to get these wing things which stick on his back done too kind of happy with them, my balthazar gold seemed watery after i gave it a good shake.

Duke Gerards Gear so far: So far with this model i have only done his shield and i guess like a banner.... i dunno what you'd call it lol. i was thinking of putting the techincal paint that makes it look like its got that bluey/green tinge to it to make it look like it was glowing. what do you think?

Shields: So as i mentioned i had gotten all the shields undercoated and painted in a scheme but now i am not to sure if its okay, and the back of the shields is puzziling me on what i should do, whether i paint it in leadbelcher and just wash it in black which is what i did on Gerards shield and i managed to get the sword sheath and a pouch of the apprentice mage Ian done to, but it think i got some color mixed around as you cant see the gold on the sheath with the brown there :( . what you reckon?

So for what i should do next is i think i may get better primer, from a actual hobby store and finish Uriel's base as its ready to be painted and flocked, then just need to paint Uriel and Gore him up some. then i don't know what i'll probably get to distracted by the other shiny's in front of me lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:39 pm 

Okay so last update for a little while i go away to work for two weeks, haven't even packed oops. So where to start, Oh yeah i got the base for Uriel completed and i think i got him where i am happy with him so i may say he is done apart from the gore i wanted to do so here he is:

I am trying to decide whether i should make the cloth a bit brighter but i like the dark feel to it, and finally getting the hang of the skin tones found a decent easy way to do it. i think i may give him a dull coat just to take some shine off.

Now my next project i decided to start was the Duke (Gerard), now i wanted a like a black armor and i believe that i managed to get that on this model the black/silver with the red cape/cloths stands out alot which is cool.

Now i have definatley seen an improvment but still not as good as i want to get :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:11 am 

Okay it's been a long week back and haven't really gotten anywhere with painting other then working on finishing the duke which is basically done just got to think of a base i don't want just a plain base for him, so my thoughts were making it look like he is walking through the streets and have like a drain/gutter beside him which is over flowing from rain or something but i havent found an easy way to acheive this. I tried just doing it on the normal base and it didn't work so i was thinking i may have to get some hard Styrofoam and sculpt it in and put some water effects in it.

But on a side note i have finally fully completed Uriel to a point where i am really happy with how he turned out, added a few bits and pieces to the base and him to make him look awesome... well in my eyes lol

So with a Wrath of Kings Tournament coming in the next week or so i thought i better get a start on the pile of boxes i have of this game, i started with unboxing the Fulong dragon, which came with two diffrent versions of of the rider and weapons, one spear and one sword and i thought the sword looked awesome, plus two different tails, one long, and one slightly shorter. All i can say is these are amazing miniatures.

With the dragon i wanted to try and get the feeling of the scales changing from one color to another and it is very hard to acheive and i tried to two brush wet blend but i dont think it worked :( so i deceided to paint one side a solid color but cant decide which way to go, so once i get back from work again i will try to get my hands on simple green when i am in perth next as my bunnings doesn't seem to stock it at all. Along with working on painting the dragon i went and did its base in a ruined temple which had been reclaimed by nature and had tried to use UHU glue in a random thought to see what would happen as water... well that didn't work so i put it aside for a few days and watched a few videos on water basing and etc and found it helped me in deciding what i should do.

When i went into bunnings i found a pack of six cork tiles the thin ones but there were no thick blocks which was a bummer but now that i think of it the think stuff is better. So i managed to pull all the stuff from the base with ease and then set to building a new base, and i was thinking jungle and water themed. This is what i have managed to acheive so far.

I managed to also stay up late writing this but also gluing together the starter box and creating bases for them, the only bases i havent done from the starter sets are the 40mm bases which i will try to get done tomorrow and prime the bases in black and start coating them to get them ready.

A close-up of the bases

The Dragon Legion

Any comments and thoughts appreciated :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:18 am 

Looking fantastic champ :D

I especially love the work on the eyes, such a little thing but really amazing how they can finish a model properley 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:41 am 

Cheers mate

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable