When I decided to make some islands this time last night I did not expect to be undercoating four islands tonight, and thats only because I went to town on detail, and was out all afternoon.
I had some Parfix expanding foam
left over from a previous project and thought that might be good for whipping up some islands. The can says it can be painted, sanded, etc. Well, I was amazed with the results. This stuff is sticky as, but makes some great islands!
I started by cutting out the basic shapes from MDF. I'm lucky enought to have a jigsaw and a workshop. If you don't then CnC workshop do a pack of "scatter" terrain bases that are both rounded
and more irregular
. After cleaning the bases up I just sprayed the foam on... keeping in mind it's going to expand 3x the size, so you don't really need much.
That netted me these four islands.
To be honest I reckon you could just start painting at this point. However, I had a plan in mind for at least 2 islands you can get land forces on. So, after much deliberation (because they looked pretty cool as is) I lopped the top off the two larger islands.
The problem of course is that this stuff expands because of air bubbles, so once you cut into it you start getting holes in the surface.
I'm going to cover that in plaster, and show you how I did that slightly different for the two islands, and finally talk about the last two that had no cutting done, this skipped two steps
Here's the size compared to a EotBS Battleship.
The top got carefully sliced off. Carefully so I can use it as another island!
As you can see theres some fairly big holes left behind. To cover this I made up a reasonably thick mix of plaster. Basically add plaster to a small amount of water letting it soak in until the water cant soak anymore plaster up. I then poured it over the area I had cut. Finally, I gently tapped the island to level out the plaster. Some did pour over areas that were not cut, but as it's going to dry smooth you won't be able to tell on the final product. This also cause the plaster to pool around the "beaches" creating some flat areas out from the slopes that look quite natural.
Once the plaster had dried it was roughed up a bit with sandpaper and covered with PVA and sand. I also added a small tower (from the Firestorm Armada Military installations set!) to one end as a lighthouse.
Pretty much followed the same process. The top was lopped (and kept to one side).
Then the cut area was covered with plaster. However, this time rather than taping it for a smooth surface as it was drying I roughed the surface with my finger.
That roughing meant I could sand down the peaks at the next step resulting in less work to create a rough surface for the sand. This worked out better as the first island lost a lot of sand after drying. I also added a small facility to this one with a couple of AA guns, some landing pads, a generator looking building and a accommodation building. Again, all from the Firestorm Armada Military installations
pack. Theres also a couple of EotBS tiny flyer casualties crashed amongst the rocks
Island #3 & #4
These two skipped the cut and plaster steps as I wanted them to be "impassable" kind of terrain. So, they just got a coat of sand.
These are the easy islands. Spray on foam, wait for it to dry. Add sand and paint! Once dry I will be adding some flock to make it look over-grown, and then it's done!
All four are now undercoated and drying, and I'm hanging out to start painting. At this rate I will have them ready for the table for my game Monday night.