[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Any Interest in a Dystopian Wars Tournamnet/Game Day - WestGamer
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:34 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:18 pm 

Hello all

Since we seem to have an ever expanding number of players for dystopian wars I was wondering if there would be much interest in a tournament or games day?

I was thinking thinking something along the lines of 2-3 games at 1250-1500 points per day for one or two days (depending on what people want).

As for the games, I was thinking of using the senario I have been playing with friends, and once or twice at TGA. It is as follows:
- 5 objectives per board (boards are 6 by 4).
- 2 land only objectives, 2 sea only objectives, 1 land or sea objective (usually on a small island/coast so all can get at it).
- flyers cannot hold objectives.
- to hold an objective you need twice as many points within 4 inches as your opponant, otherwise the objective is contested.
- if you controll a prized ship it can hold an uncontested objective.
- 6 turns, or random game length after turn 4 (either one works, so its up to you guys)

Additional restrictions:
- no more than one dread (its possible to fit 4 in at 1500 points.......this just aint funny!)

Thats the senario I propose, its fairly balanced and allows players to mix their list as they see fit without the risk of having a total missmatch game (e.g. where player one brings all navy, and player two brings all land). If everyone knows they have to hold land and naval objectives in every game we should see a nice split of forces and really see what we can do with this game!

Potential Problems:
- Terrain. I have one set, I might be able to borrow one or two more, after that Im struggling. How many people would be willing to bring their own gear down?
- Boards. Access to tables should be fine, its getting access to tables that can accomodate the split land and naval battles that could be a problem. Options I see are play most games as a 'large islands' style board with large typicall wargaming forests as the islands, these could be linked by bridges or sturginium portals. OR, take a normal 6 by 4 and cover two large areas in the corners with 'land' and play a 'home islands' style game, with smaller islands in the middle to link the gap. OR, an 'ambibious assult' style map works. This is where the board is split 50:50 land:sea diagonally down the middle with a few small islands in the sea (for the attacking land units to deploy on).

As for running it as a tournament vs games day (i.e. all games are random draw, timed rounds, with no prizes fro winning), i think i would be in favour of games day to start just to ensure we all know the rules, and get a feel for any potential problems that could affect tourney play in the future.

I would like to emphasise this is all totally conceptual at the moment. I have no idea when it could be run except 'later this year', and dont know where it would be run. I just want to put the idea out there to test the waters.......oh dear, that wasnt even an intentional pun.....

What do we think?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:54 pm 

sounds good!!! i will need to get some games in first! im part way through painting right now and if this is a go'er then it will give me the inspiration to finnish!

with combined air/land objectives it gives the FSA a real big advantage as they have more air/sea units

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:22 pm 

I would sign up for a naval game. Not much interested in the land stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:55 pm 

Great to see some interest so fast!

VonPickles - the combined objective is land/naval. Flyers can never claim them (they are just really helpfull since they can go everywhere, and help out any part of the battle).

pbeccas - unless there is overwhelming consensus otherwise I would keep things mixed (as that is the bit of this game that excites me the most). I actually much prefer uncharted seas as a pure naval game. There would be nothing forcing anyone to use any single componant, so you could use all navey but would be sacrificing two objectives (just got to blow the land units off them lol). From what Ive played so far I think anyone but the brits of prussians could exclude land or sea fairly sucessfully. We could make it so there is only one 'land only' and one 'sea only' objective, and have three 'mixed' ones.........I might get playtesting that to see how it works.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:51 pm 

Interest +1

Really need to get back to Dwars and up to date on all the latest changes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:49 pm 

Quote:
with combined air/land objectives it gives the FSA a real big advantage as they have more air/sea units
im a dik

i meant having Sea and Land objectives, give the FSA a big benefit, as the FSA have the greater numbers of both Land/Sea units

airships can hover??? why couldnt they hold an objective?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:26 pm 

Perhaps hold the objective with Assault Troops?

I realised I didn't give preferences in my last post :) I'm up for a 1 day event.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:24 pm 

TGA has been interested in a Fusion Initiative for Dystopian Wars and Uncharted Seas for ages, but no takers sadly. I hope that you do this Boothy because it would be great and you have TGA's support if that time does come. 8)

Catalyst Games Labs Demo Team Member #139: BattleTech FTW!

www.alphastrike.com.au - Perth's premiere games and hobby supplier.
Visit our Facebook page.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:09 am 

I would just like to say thanks to TGA and Outpost for the offers of venue! At this stage I have no idea where this could be held (it will probably come down to popular demand as either work for me).

VonPickles - Just to clarify a land/sea objective can be held by either type, the unit holding does not have to be ampibious. The fact that FSA has a few(? - I can only think of the landship) amphibious units shouldnt be a problem. Yes it is a nice tactical flexibility but the units themselves arnt usually that great (the landship is OK, but 180 degree fire arcs on the turrets is a real pain!)
The person I have played the most games against uses FSA and thus far amphibious units have not been obviously unbalancing.

Flyers not being able to hold objectives is for game balance e.g. I think I would cry if I came up against a FSA list with 15 John Henry robots at 1500 points (within the limit, even with the new core force rules). Under the senario above that list would still be pretty horible (due to the damage output!) but all i would have to do is destroy all the non John Henrys and then the FSA player cannot win (only draw). Equally as a primarily Blazing Sun player I could quite happily field nothing but flyers (probably with a cheap core force of land), form them into a big cloud of doom and float around destroying bits of the mixed force enemy peicmeal while the other elements could not fight back. Overall I think non scoring flyers acts as a fairly effective comp, without actually putting any restrictions in place.

advanceop - holding opjectives with assult points is certainly an option. There were two reasons I have not gone for this so far:
- powerfull boarding is about the only thing the prussians have over other nations. I want them to be able to use their assult points for destroying the enemy rather than having to give up that option to hold objectives and then just getting out shot.
- more in line with the new boarding rules. With the update they have removed multi round bording so assult points are either on their ship, dead, or holding a prize. This does reduce book keeping quite a bit as its makes keeping track of assult points a lot easier.

Having said that, it is something that could be experimented with.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:53 pm 

My son and I would most likely be in for a one day event. We could most likely host it at PMGG if the other venue options don't work out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:34 pm 

Just thinking about the points, isn't 120-1500 a bit much for 2-3 games in a day? also many of us may not have that many points. I have just over a 1000 and games using that many points a side have taken around 4 hours. Admittedly I am only new to the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:45 pm 

Quote:
Just thinking about the points, isn't 120-1500 a bit much for 2-3 games in a day? also many of us may not have that many points. I have just over a 1000 and games using that many points a side have taken around 4 hours. Admittedly I am only new to the game.
Good point and one I hadn't really thought about. I wouldn't say I'm new, but I'm still pretty slow at playing, so 1000 points might be better.

Sadly, I've probably got plenty of models... I dunno how many points, but two land starters, a naval starter, plus a Blister of almost everything thats come out for Blazing Suns (2 squids) I'm sure hits the 1500 point mark and then some ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:15 pm 

I'd be more inclined to play at the 1,000 point mark. Plus, I'm only interested in the naval side of it. The ground based forces don't float my boat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:22 pm 

Just to check are people playing to the death with 4hr games or turn limit? Initially I took ages as well, but to play 6 turns with my regulars usually takes 3hrs at 1500 points. Ive not played any mixed games at 1k, but can immagine it would be difficult to balance things out (i.e. have more than 1-2 units of land/sea/air). At this stage I would propose 1250, this can be changed closer to the time if need be.

I think two games per day would be the thing to aim for (in the future if people are feeling really keen we could do a three game day).

Neil - where is PMGG? I dont know that club.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:36 pm 

I was just wondering what rules everyone uses for their ground units? I remember Spartan telling us they were releasing some sort of free PDF but I never saw it. I can't find anything about it on their website.