[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Malifaux 2nd Edition! - Page 4 - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:03 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:05 am 

Quote:
meh.. you probabably havent seen the 15 million teddies painted as carebears already
No, I have not, but those 15 million people are good people :D

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:12 pm 

Avatar Hoffman is huge! No wonder they had issues with a metal cast!

RT @ericjgames: This happened http://t.co/1pc1xmHbEV

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:50 am 

Wyrd Henchman

Post subject: Malifaux 2nd Edition!
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:51 am 

^ most of those re-concepts already look better than first go

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:10 am 

I may even end up with Marcus if that's what the box looks like. I liked the idea of the beastmaster thing... but didn't like all the hype about the crappiness of the crew as a whole...

"Cry "Havoc!!", and let slip the dogs of war" Julius Caesar; Act III, Scene I

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:16 am 

Wow, the gorilla is cool. Marcus is one of the Arcanist masters I was never interested in because the models were terrible, I'm really hoping they will be good this time around.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:07 pm 

Heres some Cliff Notes from a podcast last week (Malifools)

1. They will fly to your house and confiscate your old models. (joke)

2. Game is balanced master to master, which will in turn add balance faction to faction. (Also possibly "player experience to player experience")

3. They recommend that henchmen demo M2E instead of M1E after the public beta starts.

4. Going forward everything shipped will be plastic and second edition, the first edition stuff will be discontinued after the new version is released; however, old stock of first edition stuff will still be available as they can't go to every store and get rid of the old models. (They suggest you buy faction decks to get all the cards)

5. Public beta is offered to get good results so they can make the game better, faster. (some stuff offered about tracking the meta game for the next few years, etc.) More people, more feedback, less issues for the final product. (yes, they will listen to people's feedback about the beta) (Beta document updated weekly) (implied that the document will be approximately 50 pages long)

6. How much impact will the open beta have? See above.

7. Will the game anyway incorporate retention of themes in crews? (Does Raspy get a reward for taking frozen heart models, etc. ?) "More synergy, not less", followed by "That's not necisarily true". They tried to give synergy without forcing masters to take the same crew. Synergies are less punishing for not taking them, but they still bring a reward. Frozen heart is changed, rasputina will get a paralyze ability based off of frozen heart (if i understood him right). Wendigo is only available for Rasputina.

8. Update to the vassal module? (Dont think its necisarry)

9. How different is the pregame sequence? A: Pretty close to 1E, "reasonably close". Biggest difference is the scheme pool, which is chosen before your crew.
steps are as follows.
1. define terrain/determine encounter size
2. announce factions.
3. Deployment zones
4. Strategies and schemes.
5. Hire and reveal crews
6. Choose schemes, reveal any you are going to
7. Deploy crews and start.

10. Is the story encounter section part of the beta? Not at first, but probably eventually.

11. Do you view Malifaux as a tournement game or a casual game? Sounds like both. Standard encounter is for an "organized environment". A more story driven encounter is from the "story encounters section". Both are included in the book. Right now the standard encounters need more time, hence its priority in the beta.

12. What about 2E will draw new players that 1E didn't? Its a lot more streamlined, less barrier to play. Hero abilities are upgrades to models. Keeping them there? Balance. Better balanced game than first edition. (Example given 1e sommer versus 1e pandora in book 1) Smoother process from time you buy your first crewbox til you are ready to enter in a league or tourniment.

13. Negativity about 2e announcement, "we are all liars". How do you all feel about negativity, what are your suggestions for people with "big picture" concerns? A: It's like fox news. There will be people who feel negative about things no matter what. If you have concerns hopefully you will play the beta and give imput. (Something about a chocolate and feathered chariot from heaven). Concerns are coming from people who haven't played the game yet, since play testers are all under NDAs. Hope that haters will evaluate the game as a whole when it is released. Look at changes systematically, as a whole. Give it a chance. (2E will be a 5 turn game instead of a 6 turn game as models were dying too quickly)

(Seamus apparently disintigrates into chocolate or tapioca pudding based on wether or not he takes certain upgrades)

14. are upgrades exclusive to masters or will there be some available to all faction masters? (yes) Upgrades seem to be a way to add balance and control how much complexity is in the game.

15. Will avatars be able to take upgrades? A: No, they wont need them. Mei Feng is the avatar of Rebellion. She doesnt need an upgrade as a lot of things happen when she appears.

16. Avatars can disappear, but wont necisarrily. Is it a game changing event to get an avatar out? Yes, its very dramatic. Some things will shift balance, some models worth more, others less. When brewmaster appears everyone gets a little drunk. Brewmaster is an avatar apparently.

17. A master can have up to 3 upgrades from between 4 or 5 choices. Every master has 4 specific to them that only they can take and there are 3 generic faction upgrades. 7 choices for a master but only 3 allowed. Some have a "limited" characteristic and you cant have multiple "limited" upgrades.

18. When do you announce upgrades? A: Part of crew selection, and announced.

19. They are taking your models, they will come to your house, you pay their airfair.

20. Will all new boxsets contain totems? A: All but one, who isn't announced yet. He doesnt have a totem at this point. For the most point, yes. Masters who currently have totems will include thier totem in the box set. Von Schill gets a totem. (Jokes about Malifaux child totem). "VS gets a steam powered tank without a gun that holds equipment and money for everyone. People around it get to use 0 actions it has. Its basically luggage."

21. Will dual faction masters always be able to use models in thier starterbox? A: For the most part. Some exceptions. Nurses and Sebastion in the Guild if you are running Mcmourning.

22. Will models in M1E starter boxes change when boxes are updated to M2E? A: They may change, typically you will get more stuff. M1 distribution was heavily influenced by the models that had been released. Gorilla is Kojo, who has a rule called "rude sign language".

23. Expected time scales for new crews? A: "we have no idea", hoping to have "lots" and "fast".

24. Do new plastic sculpts include upgrades? A: For the most part, no. You are not forced to model upgrades, as most of them are ammo types, or techniques and skills, etc.

25. Will current plastic models get resculpts? A: Probably not, maybe a new box but not actual models.

26. Will all starter boxes have a henchmen? A: No. Every box will have a henchmen or an enforcer probably. Ice golem is an enforcer, not a henchmen. Ice golem cant lead crews. Will every master have a thematic henchment? No. This is purely story driven. Not having a specific henchment doesnt affect balance.

27. There will be roosters because Eric wants them.

28. Model releases are not prioritized in book order, new stuff will come out first, then things will be replaced over time as workflow allows.

29. Will new avatars be given a priority for release? Maybe, priority is making avatars look awesome, so if reality make them take longer to make it will take longer to release. They will be released when Wyrd is happy with it. They dont hold things back, if its ready, they release it.

30. Any changes to summoning that could be summarized? A: Models are still slow when summoned. Range defined by spell, not just 6 inches. Range varies for summons. Core summoning mechanic is similar to 1e.

31. Changes to terrifying, moral duels, wp duels, etc? A: Gone completely, replaced by "horror duels". WP versus Target number, success equals immunity to that source for rest of turn. Fail = paralyze. No running away. Terrifying works against ranged attacks as well. Much smoother overall.

32. Changes to companion? A: An ability on the models card, not a core rule. After a friendly model ends its activation within 6 inches, this model may activate. A core rule limits it to only 2 models activating in succession. No more alpha attacks. There is another rule simliar to this.

33. Spells with a CA resist? A: No. (Their phone starts ringing) Casting is no longer a stat on the card. Resisting is done with WP, casting is now a derived stat based on what the model is trying to do. Different casting values and target numbers depending on who the model is.

34. 5 round encounters instead of 6. This adjust how players assess the game as it flows, creates a smoother flow. Affects how people play the game.

35. Changes to soul stones? A: Originally played with 10, dropping to 7 for now. Beta info will change this.

36. LOS and cover mechanics? A: Cleaned up language. If both models are same height, LOS works "more or less the same as 1.5". LOS changes when drawn through 3 dimensions. Shadow rule is changed, to "vantage points". If you are on height 2 or greater terrain, you draw line of sight from base to base, using a diagonal line. If you are within your heights distance from the edge of the terrain you can ignore the terrain for LOS purposes. You ignore intervening models that are lower than the higher model. Other stuff mentioned, but really hard to type it all quickly.

37. 0 actions and specific ap exist? A: Specific AP exist, but can be combined with general AP. Specific AP are reduced however.

38. Has the role of Totems changed? A: Yes. Basically, they are much more synergistic with masters. Some have lost magical extension. Wendigo is much different. Its aggressive. It can "eat" paralyzed models. It still has magical extension, "one of the few". Some Raspy players will still want essence of power, but it is a much more difficult choice to make. "Wendigo model looks really cool." "art shows what the model more or less ends up looking". Is the dead guy included? "we have no idea, thats the assumption we are working under though". Depends on production and mould casting.

39. Will there be faction specific master schemes? A: In story encounters.

40. All strategies score at end of turn. Schemes have a relatively equal distribution between those that score at end of turn and end of game, or end randomly.

41. Will nightmare edition models get specific cards? A: "I dont think so". The only change is the art.

42. If someone owns every model, how much should they expect to pay for faction decks? A: Goal is "as cheaply as possible", answer is unknown at this point.

43. Are the cards split by faction or book? A: Initial release will have cards for all book, but final release will be split by faction.

44. How are cards handled for multiple models (gremlins)? A: Faction decks have mutliples, not sure how many though. 12 death marshals = 70 points in new game. (Approximate cost of a death marshal = 5.7 stones)

45. Will cards be available individually or in boosters? A: depends on production side, it is possible that duel faction masters may need a second deck for certain masters. Duel faction models will be in both packs. Implied that neverborn will still have access to wp4 or less models, which implies Zoraida as Neverborn.

46. PDF cards? A: Eric is keen on that, maybe eventually?

47. Will cards be available from Wyrd directly or any retail? A:tyhe plan is that these will be a product that stores can carry.

48. Will there still be suggested beginner masters? A: Goal is everyone can start with any master.

49. Which 10 thunder masters included at first. A: Mei feng, Jakob Lynch, Misaki.

50. Will there be a small rule book? A: We want to do that, uncertain when. There may be a starter box set with two crews and rules, not currently working on it.

51. There will be a lot of new fiction in the book. Hints that McMourning and Lucius have a connection which explains how McMourning works in the guild.

52. New fluff explains new relationship? (Hints that Justice doesnt know that McMourning is working in the guild as she had a house dropped on her) Chronicles released June 3 explains McMourning's relationship with the guild. New Duel faction relationships will be explained in fluff. Lucius confirmed duel faction neverborn.

53.Old fluff maybe released as PDF's in future? A summary will be included, but full fluff is in old books.

54. Will rule book released at Gencon be the same as the one in January? A: Yes.

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:14 pm 

Listening to it currently...

I really love the Malifools... and the Grumpy Wargamers.

Some questions - how does the Public Beta work? I.e. I want to start doing them at work over lunch with a workmate, but
1) do I need to go somewhere to sign up
2) where do I get the Beta rules from, Malifaux.com or the forums, or ?
3) do I give feedback to henchmen or straight to a website (asuming it is a sign up)
4) is it limited to x number of people
5) etc...

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:20 pm 

Looking forward to it, though still no mention of the dual-faction master who now works for the Arcanists!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:59 pm 

Quote:
Listening to it currently...

I really love the Malifools... and the Grumpy Wargamers.

Some questions - how does the Public Beta work? I.e. I want to start doing them at work over lunch with a workmate, but
1) do I need to go somewhere to sign up
2) where do I get the Beta rules from, Malifaux.com or the forums, or ?
3) do I give feedback to henchmen or straight to a website (asuming it is a sign up)
4) is it limited to x number of people
5) etc...
Public beta wont be limitedd, it will be open to everyone.

There will be a subforum on the Wyrd forums for all the public beta stuff, its not there or open yet. I will post the link here when its live.

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:30 pm 

that was a good read - the pointform podcast thingo.

upgrades to masters could be messy as this is where 'combos' can come from. . . and if there are combos we all know the henchmen to blame :P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:35 am 

Rules are up in this forum!

http://www.wyrd-games.net/forumdisplay. ... ublic-Beta

Rules are here, downloading them now:
http://www.wyrd-games.net/mint/pepper/o ... _31_13.zip

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:14 am 

If the art is anything to go by...

My wallet is already crying in anticipation. I want... ssssssssssooooooooooooo many of the new masters. And I'll be converting a few I already own. Sonnia mask FTW!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:21 am 

NAWW THE COPYCAT KILLER HAS A .49 FLINTLOCK! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, so with all the Gencon goodies posted - it's officially time for me to get my Pandora crew back into the fray in preparation for M2E. I'm keen to get some practice in before Skulls as well.

Can someone point me in the direction of the most current version of the beta rules so I can bash out some games? The Wyrd beta forum appears to require a password for access... :P

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next