[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Dr Claw's Helldorado, Smog 1888 and Bushido - WestGamer
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:02 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:32 am 

I've had a box of Hell Dorado demons in my garage since 2007 and finally took them out to paint.

My favourites would be the Greater Demon of Wrath (the big guy) which was a gift from Space Cowboy, the Demons of Sloth (the three sleepy looking dudes) and the Saarlac Pit.

The lava bases were my first attempt at basing other than gravel and flock. They were really easy to do and fun to paint. If anyone's interested:

* The rocks were pieces of cork - you can get packs of four cork tiles from Bunnings for around $14. For most of the bases, I cut the thickness of the cork chips in half using a craft knife to 'lower' the rocks. But for a few I used the full thickness.

* Cut out a groove in the cork chip to fit the miniature tab for metal miniatures

* Glue the rocks onto the base with super glue or PVA / wood glue. PVA / wood glue works well, is much cheaper than super glue but takes longer to dry. Glue some gravel / sand around the edge of the rock but leave some of the base spare for the lava.

* You can either superglue the miniature onto the rock now and undercoat, or paint the bases separately. Either works just as well.

* To paint the bases.
- Black undercoat. I use a black Dulux spray from Bunnings which is half / one-third the price of GW Chaos Black or Army Painter black. Wouldn't try it on miniatures but it's fine for bases / scenery.
- Drybrush the rocks lightly with Codex Grey / mid-grey; then with a very light grey (e.g. Vallejo Sky Grey).

* To paint the lava rocks / stones
- Dark red base coat, e.g. GW Mechrite Red
- Then dry brush with Blood Red, Orange, Yellow and a very light dry brush of White for the very tips of the rocks

* To paint the lava
- Dark red base coat
- A narrower stripe of Blood Red running down the middle
- Then orange, then yellow
- Finally, a coat of Water Effects over the lava (thanks Necroyp for this tip!)

Last edited by Dr Claw on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Dr Claw's Helldorado
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:50 am 

Demons of Wrath, a Fallen Angel and a Succubus, and a Lesser and Greater Demon of Gluttony.

In the game, if the Demon of Gluttony does enough hits in combat, he can 'devour' an enemy model and transform into the Greater Demon. The enemy model then takes 3 points of damage at the start of each subsequent turn until he is fully digested. But if the Greater Demon is killed before then, the enemy climbs out and returns to the table!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:00 pm 

Best dry brushing ever dr claw!

I will strip my chaos dwarfs so you can redo all of them with lava bases, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:37 pm 

No problems!

I've PLENTY of time as an unemployed uni student bum.

Gives me something to do in between hassling passers-by for coins at the Galleria :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:30 am 

Here's another Lemure / Familiar.

In Hell Dorado, when a magic user casts a spell, they place a Lemure in base contact with it which 'becomes' the spell. In subsequent turns, the Lemure can be activated twice a turn, moving 6 inches each time. For many the Demon spells, the Lemure 'explodes' doing damage if you can move it into contact with an enemy model. It's a great mechanic where spell casting has an added dimension.

The original model looked like a piece of flange and I thought I'd accidentally thrown it out. Then I found it in my modelling box.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:38 am 

Smart Max, another French company, have a stunning range of Victorian steampunk miniatures in 1/35 scale resin, the same scale as the Tamiya WW2 tank / soldier kits.

They are my pick for the best miniatures currently available on the market, works of art in their own right. They aren't cheap though, and have gotten a lot more expensive now the AUD has dived against the Euro.

The game is neat and quick to play, off a printed game mat with squares. Combat, magic and shooting involves playing cards. Mainly an excuse to move around the miniatures.

Here are the ones I've painted over the last 18 months.

The Prestigious Cabinet (yes, the BOX moves and fights!) and an Opium Dragon (Hutch, finally painted up this).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:40 am 

Dr Proteus ('I am not an ANIMAL!') Treves and a Sewer Golem (thanks Space Cowboy!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:43 am 

Piotr Goodenough the Zombie (the cannonball hole goes right through his chest and out the back), Shamrock the Great, and Shaking Sam (love the Venetian carnevale / plague doctor rig)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:47 am 

Little Alice (when Alice fell down the rabbit hole, she broke her neck and died) and Humpty Dumpty

Here's a link to the Smog 1888 website and the Smart Max store.
http://www.smog1888.com/en/welcome/latest-news/
http://www.smartmaxstore.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:15 am 

I love the Smog1888 range, just amazing figures

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:24 pm 

They are great minis. More than a little creepy :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:05 am 

Not as creepy as clowns, but close.

They have a Lady Usher miniature, wrapped in faded, stained cerements Miss Havisham-style.

http://www.smartmaxstore.com/lady-usher-en.htm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:56 am 

Had a game with Necroyp (Lost) on Wed night at NWS with Space Cowboy umpiring. For awhile, the Demons had the Lost on the ropes - a Retiarus under control by Asaliah's spell, a Corvus swallowed by the Demon of Gluttony, a Squamata warrior killed. No demons lost.

Then Bran Carnoth drops his 'feat' ('What do you mean all my models are knocked down and miss a turn?!!'), then charges through a rock forest. The Greater Demon of Wrath goes down. Asaliah can't heal him as she's spending a turn standing up. Then goes down to both Bran Carnoth and a Squamata warrior.

Warmachine Rage rising … rising ...

But Neil from Batal Games dropped off some Hell Dorado and Bushido stuff. Here's the Greater Demon of Pride. Been wanting to paint this guy ever since the model came out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:18 am 

Very nice. Good work getting the mirror on the model.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:05 pm 

Beautiful painting!

I've been salivating over the Smog models for years, but it was difficult to find somewhere to buy them. Then the price went up after they released it in english. I sense a cool mini or not order in my future (will get here faster ordering from US than EU I hope).