[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Horus Heresy at Outpost? - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:36 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Horus Heresy at Outpost?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:28 am 

So, I've been thinking of getting into 30k for awhile, pondering a variety of different armies that I would be potentially interested in building. Part of army building for me, though, is building something different from what other people in my gaming group are playing (maybe that's why I shied away from building the Eldar allies for my Dark Eldar).

Consequently, I was interested in taking a quick survey of 40k/30k players at Outpost to see what 30k lists you play and what you like about the play style.

If folks don't mind, I was thinking of writing up a list in this post as people respond to tally up what lists are being played and what are under-represented.

From talking with folks recently, here's my understanding so far (and correct me if I'm wrong or if you have plans for other additions):

- Timo - Mechanicum
- Mike - Emperor's Children
- Ken - World Eaters, Death Guard, Imperial Fists
- Jason - Sons of Horus
- Chris - Thousand Sons
- Ted - World Eaters, Death Guard
- Alex - Iron Warriors
- ??? - Night Lords

What else are folks running?

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

Last edited by Death By Monkeys on Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:39 pm 

A stocktake is a good idea Jacob, especially now where it will be easier for people to join in and pick a Legion. Which hopefully means more players for 30k battles!
I am playing with the idea of getting some Legion allies for my Mechancium. Obvious choices are either Iron Hands or Iron Warriors. Neither are really my favorites though, from a background a painting perspective. Based on the novels I would actually like to go with Ultra Marines (oh no I said it...), from a painting 'challenge' perspective I'd like to go with Alpha Legion. But that's just ideas I am toying with, for the moment it's Mechanicum all the way. Next stop, Triaros Armoured Conveyor...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:54 pm 

I'm curious to know what they balance is like. One of things that frustrates me about 40k is how irrelevant basic troops have become.
Is it any better in 30k? Or do big things and masses of shooting make them irrelevant too?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:02 pm 

Quote:
I'm curious to know what they balance is like. One of things that frustrates me about 40k is how irrelevant basic troops have become.
Is it any better in 30k? Or do big things and masses of shooting make them irrelevant too?
30K can be a lot more balanced than 40K, given that:

A) Every one is Space Marines
B) 95% of what you have available is identical to what your opponent has
C) Your "Rocks", "Papers" and "Scissors" are much more powerful in 30K

It comes down much more to list building.

For example the 40K Tactical Squad can have up to 10 Marines, have 1 Support Weapon, 1 Heavy Weapon and a Decent Sargent.

The 30K Tactical Squad starts with 10 Marines and can have up to 20. Cannot have any weapons other than bolters and a Sargent that's slightly better than the regular person. The Support Weapon moves to the Support Squad: 5 (up to 10) identically armed Marines, the Heavy Weapon moves to the Devastator squad with the same conditions.

So your "Rock" has become a much better rock, but can no longer be either "Paper" or "Scissors" whilst they have also become much more powerful.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:50 pm 

I agree the fact that since its marine vs marine most of the time and both player choosing from the same army list the game is largely balanced. The fun and difference comes from the couple of specialty units each legion brings and legion specific rules.

Pete troops are very relevant being that not every unit is scoring, usually only troops are

I'm Hoping the new heresy box will bring in a few more outpost players to the game which imho is superior to 40k

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:53 pm 

I know Ted has world eaters and death guard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:04 pm 

I have the beginnings of an Iron Warriors amry, and know another person with Night Lords.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:22 pm 

Quote:
I know Ted has world eaters and death guard
Thanks, Ken - I was pretty sure Ted had World Eaters, but I hadn't seen him bring them around in a while so I wasn't sure if he still had them.

Note: Editing the original post with more armies.

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:26 pm 

Ill be doing a slow grow with the new kit... but Im not even sure which legion i want to do yet, all i know is that it hasnt been released yet :lol:

Ideally Id do wolves or tsons, but I dont expect rules for either of them in my lifetime, so bloodangels and whitescars are the two that interest me most... White scars probably the most, as they would be the most useful in regular 40k...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:16 pm 

With the new board game coming out soon, good opportunity to get on board with some Heresy methinks! Interesting that no-one seems to have chosen any loyal legions yet...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:20 pm 

Imperial fist are loyal,

and traitor legions can be used as loyalist as some have loyalist characters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:34 pm 

One of the books has rules for using lists in the wrong alignment, plus mixed legion lists, and unaligned lists... I think maybe the next one thats coming out with the remaining legions (except wolves/tsons).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:04 pm 

There does seem to be an under-representation of Loyalists. I've been going back and forth between Raven Guard and Imperial Fists, myself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:54 pm 

Quote:
One of the books has rules for using lists in the wrong alignment, plus mixed legion lists, and unaligned lists... I think maybe the next one thats coming out with the remaining legions (except wolves/tsons).
The rules for the shattered legions should drop around February according to sources.

I'm building a Mechanicum army and will be building an Irons Hands army with the new box set

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:53 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
The rules for the shattered legions should drop around February according to sources.
And blackshields too I think.