[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
AdvanceOp's Hobby Blog - Page 4 - WestGamer
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:29 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:44 am 

Well ordering from warlord is getting beyond a joke. My Canadians arrived yesterday and yet another mis-pack. :( This time I got an HQ even though the order clearly shows a FOO. Fortunately I can easily prove I already have the HQ as I also ordered that from Warlord :/

I ordered the Savage Core Cro-Magnon's. With any luck I will get those and not a bunch of Romans ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:31 am 

That sucks, I've only ever ordered once and it was fine :(

What are you going to use the Cro-Magnons for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:42 am 

Wait... I need a use? ;)

Ummm 7TV is always a good excuse. I've toyed with the idea of writing a kingdom of death style game (although I have never played KoD), and well, I suppose there is always Savage Core when the rules come out ;) but mostly I got them to paint them... I'll find a use for them I am sure ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:53 am 

They're great models, I had a look. I find that period fascinating, I got very excited when I saw Far Cry: Primal yesterday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:55 pm 

Yeah likewise. I'm quite taken by the idea of having a simple progressive system of caveman vs the wilderness ... kind of survival mode with the progression elements of Bloodbowl/necro/Mordheim, etc where cavemen gets skills, but are always battling against attrition. PvP is easy but I'd also like co-op or even solo play to be feature.

Dreams of a would be games designer. Might have to start scribbling things down.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:03 pm 

I'd be keen to give it a go if you put something together, there should be more co-op wargames! And it would be a great excuse to paint some cavemen too.

Post subject: AdvanceOp's Hobby Blog
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:21 pm 

Love the co-op games. Sounds like a good bit of fun watching the caveman grow up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:28 pm 

Thanks guys. Well I guess now I need to put my money where my mouth is so to speak ;) don't expect anything this week though ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:57 pm 

I believe Eureka Miniatures have a pack with a couple of Afrika Corps dudes carrying an Ark of the Covenant. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Artizan Designs also have the Gestapo dude from Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's a great model.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:58 am 

Since our rennovations upheaval I've been too busy actually playing games, and preparing for playing games, that I haven't really had much time for processing photo's and posting to my blog. Ok, so maybe there was some PC gaming in there too :D So here's a quick update on where I am at with my many (and rapidly growing in diversity) projects.

On the painting bench there are 6x Fallschirmjaeger, my stalled-still-waiting-for-a-crew-replacement Sd Kfz 233, 2x SS SMGs 2x SS Rifles, 2x SS LMG teams, an archeologist that very much resembles Indiana Jones, and a bulldog I'm calling Winston.

At the same time on the terrain front I'm upping my forest count, and ordered 20 trees off ebay, and I am chasing 40mm round bases to put them on. These will be put in 40mm holes cut in a base board to show the boundaries of the forest. That's the plan anyway, finding cheap 3mm tall, 40mm round bevel edges bases has been challenging.

I've also picked up some flickering tea lights from Red Dot (thanks for the tip Orange) to make some fire markers. I was considering some kind of magnetic arrangement so I could swap the base size as smoke in BA ranges from 3" to 6" in 1" increments! but I need to get to the bottom of the base to turn the tea light on & off, so might just make seperate smoke and fire markers. I'm sure once I start using my flamethrower team in Bolt Action fire markers are going to be a requirement!

In addition to that I finally got around to assembling my Sarissa Chataeu. If you're not familair with this laser cut kit, assembled it looks like this.

It was a pretty simple kit to assemlbe, though some of the details above the door frame are quite fragile, and I've already "modified" the back door frame as I busted some of the detail just assembling the model. I've decided to paint the model as constructed. That is, the corners of the roof look less "real" as they should have a capping over the join, but I'm making a model for a wargame, not a movie set. Ultimately, if I don't like the final result, it's something I can retrofit later anyway.

The kits also doesn't include any interior walls, each floot is one big room, so I may consider knocking some of those up at a later date as well. As it turns out I enjoy painting window frames on doll houses about as much as I do on real houses... that is, not very much. This chataeu has 27 windows! Pretty much means I'm not likely to invest in a real French Chataeu! I'm going for a perhaps less interesting exterior of grey with white window frames and black wrought iron railings. However, I'm hoping to brighten it up a little with some moss and vines so it looks a little less monochrome. I've also painted the interior floors a luxurious burgandy. I'm not sure at this stage whether I am going to paint the interior walls, or go crazy and wallpaper them. It is after all a centre piece terrain wise, so I don't mind going the extra mile. I am hoping to be able to take some WiP shots on the weekend.

This also arrived yesterday...

The plan is to use it for a staff car for Bolt Action (counts as a kubelwagon with no MG option), or just a nice terrain piece. The 1/48th scale is just a little larger than Bolt Action at 1/54th but it's very close. I wouldn't mix & match the scales, but as a one-off car this will fit right in. It's half assembled already :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:22 am 

I look forward to seeing them both! Sarissa make some cars too, I've bought some of them to use and cars and will be interested to see how they compare next to Warlord tanks.

It'll be cool putting a sniper on top of that Chateau!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:19 pm 

Wow that's a ripper kit! By the end of the slow grow, we will be fighting in suburban Europe if we keep this up!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:54 pm 

That would indeed be cool, and fit right into my plans for a late war Arnhem campaign. ;)

I'm really impressed with the sarissa kits, so am likely to drop another order soon. My 28mm terrain collection is somewhat lacking. The Chataeu makes a great centre piece for a lot of the games I play.

Resisted the urge to buy 4grounds tables and chairs for my doll house today. Let's get internal walls happening first ;)

@Orange: Are those the WWI trucks? I am tempted by those as well as one day I'd like to replay the 9th Houhenstaufen's charge at Arnhem, but everyone is going to need to be mounted on some kind of truck. If i go all opel blitz trucks it will cost a fortune. WWI vintage would fit right in with their whatever we can find approach, and make for nice scatter terrain as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:21 pm 

Yes they're the Sarissa ones, I put them in a box somewhere and keep forgetting to put them together! When I do I'll show you what it's like for scale.

And yes, I can't work out why Warlord cars and trucks are so expensive. I thought about getting some but 18 pounds is a lot for something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:47 pm 

Cool. Yeah that'd be awesome. I'm of two minds. I like the price, but the detail is obviously lacking. However, as per the Chateau, I'm using it for wargames not a movie set :D Warlord kits are about on par with 1/48th scale model kits, so there's not a lot of price saving going 1/48th... it's more getting something you can't otherwise get.

Got off my butt and took some photo's. Curiosity also got the better of me.

According to wikipedia, the length of the Citroen Traction ranged from 4.45m to 4.96m depending on the model. Mine is an 11CV, which had the longer wheelbase, so I assume the longer overall length. The Panzer II was 4.81m long, so 15cm shorter, and the kubelwagon 3.74m, so about 3/4 the length.

Not bad. Against the PzII its about the same length, so pretty much bang on. Likewise for the kubalwagon which is about 6 squares on my cutting mat to the staff cars 9, which makes it a little big, or conversely, Warlord's kubelwagon shorter than it should be. I've got a post coming up on my wordpress blog next Wednesday with more comparisons if your really, really interested ;)

Here's the WiP Chateau... so... many... windows...

Keen to get a Hold Until Relieved game in with this as the objective (not at 400 points though!) You could probably fit all the deployed units in the building, though one hit with a heavy howitzer or flamethrower it could be a quick game. Then again, if you destroy the objective, can you still win? ;)

I should probably put a Bushido warband together for tomorrow tourney now ;)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next