[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
LoTR SBG Escalation League - "A Tale of Eight Gamers" - Page 24 - WestGamer
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:21 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:19 pm 

Squishy elves for the squishy Harad to play with and to the death no less! :) I'm looking forward to the game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:59 pm 

Hi folks,

Isengard will be battling it out with the Red Dwarves in the next two weeks.

I propose Sunday 21st October at TGA Central for the final big battle for this escalation league. Please pencil it in your calendars, or let me know if this presents a problem.

Cheers,

Bruce

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:35 pm 

21st should be ok for me.

Captain Ignatius, Doombringers 3rd Company

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:08 pm 

Hi guys,

The next two months are a bit rough for me with my wife having to spend over half of it out of town for work. I doubt I'd be able to do October the 21st, I might be able to do the 28th. September is just as bad with her being away except for the last week. As keen as I am to finish this, my schedule doesn't look like it will allow it.

Joel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:30 pm 

That's a different take on the "Wife's away, mice will play" story :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:47 am 

That's fine with me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:05 pm 

Quote:
That's a different take on the "Wife's away, mice will play" story :D
Ha! No doubt! I think I prefer the mice will play version. I feel I'm about to get hit with a "You're doing it wrong!" post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:57 pm 

Quote:
Hi folks,

okay, here are the 3 match-ups (these were determined randomly) for 1000 points:

Battle 1 - Runejack (Elves) v Haddockswhiskey (Far Harad) - Scenario: To the Death!
Battle 2 - Bloodlust (Rohan) v Centurions (Harad) - Scenario: Domination
Battle 3 - Mister_Bruce (Dwarves) v Battle Brother Maracthor (Isengard) - Scenario: The High Ground

My suggestions for terrain are as follows:
1. Battle 1 - possibly use my Osgiliath Ruins (I have 3 sets painted now) for a city battle, or use rocky terrain. I'm thinking of a battle with choke points.

2. Battle 2 - use the Helm's Deep board at TGA Central, but ignore the fortress. Models do not set up inside. Instead this battle is being fought outside the walls of Helm's Deep and 2 of the objective markers are the Gate and the Culvert in the Deeping Wall.

3. Battle 3 - two possibilities. Either we borrow Amon Hen from Matt/Shadowlord to fight over (as the hill in the scenario) or we use some of my dungeon terrain to create an underground fight (where the 'high ground' is actually a platform higher than the rest).

Can we get these three battles done by mid-September and then plan to run our 3000 point game in late September? I don't really mind if the dates slip but this is at least putting a stake in the ground.

Cheers,

Bruce
How are people going with setting up these three battles during the month of September? BBMaracthor and I will be battling it out this Tuesday. Anybody else having a battle soon?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:36 pm 

If we have to use the Helm's Deep board as per your post then I'm out until the week after the 23/9. This week is my kids last soccer match in Freo at 11 then the team are heading off for Fish n Chips. The following week is my daughters netball presentation lunch and I'm on BBQ duty and the week after that is my kids soccer presentation.

And having just typed all that I've just realised the week after is the long weekend so can't make that one as monther in law from Adelaide is over and we're going away for the weekend... :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:41 pm 

Quote:
If we have to use the Helm's Deep board as per your post then I'm out until the week after the 23/9. This week is my kids last soccer match in Freo at 11 then the team are heading off for Fish n Chips. The following week is my daughters netball presentation lunch and I'm on BBQ duty and the week after that is my kids soccer presentation.

And having just typed all that I've just realised the week after is the long weekend so can't make that one as monther in law from Adelaide is over and we're going away for the weekend... :(
Mate, the Helms Deep board was just a suggestion. Feel free to set up another time/venue that suits. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:17 pm 

no probs. Just wasn't sure if they were the scenarios you wanted us to play. Will arrange with Bloodlust for a Tuesday after the week off. Thx.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:20 pm 

My 1000 point force is as follows - I'll post up some pictures when I get some time to do so:
  • Red Dwarves - 1000 points

Warband 1
    Balin (with Durin's Axe) - Army Leader
    Dwarven Warrior with Banner
    Dwarven Warrior with Shield x 6
    Khazad Guard x 4
    Iron Guard x 1

Warband 2
    Gimli
    Dwarven Warrior with Shield x 7
    Dwarven Warrior with 2H Axe x 2
    Khazad Guard x 1
    Iron Guard x 2

Warband 3
    Grunir the Stone Giant (using stats of Treebeard)

Warband 4
    Ardherin - Elven Stormcaller

Warband 5
    Boromir, Captain of the White Tower (+ Shield)
    Warrior of Minas Tirith with Spear and Shield x 5
    Warrior of Minas Tirith with Shield x 5
    Warrior of Minas Tirith with Bow x 2

Warband 6
    Peregrin, Guard of the Citadel
Technically not a big army - only 42 models. But some of them hit pretty hard.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:42 pm 

i've changed my 1000pts from 2 mumaks and shadowlord to......

Warband 1
Mumak with beastmaster, Rocks, Sigils of Defiance, Tusk Weapon
5 Harad Warriors with Bow
5 harad Warriors
2 Warriors of Karna with Bow

Warband 2
The Betrayer with Fell Beast
10 Harad Warriors
2 Warriors of Karna with bow

Warband 3
Suladan the Serpent Lord with horse, Bow
4 Harad warriors
6 Harad Raiders with Bow and war spear
2 Harad Raiders with War Spear

Warband 4
Haradrim Chieftain with Bow
4 Harad Warriors with Bow

This has 45 models in it which is a much bigger model count than what I took against the Goblin Horde. Hope to use the warriors and raiders as "shields" against the Rohan force. Will also use them as stoppers on rohan heroes so my Mumak can stamp them into the ground. Ok, I'll lose some models but at least it'll let me use my mumak to effect.

Last time i played Rohan they stayed at range and ran around my Mumak too scared to get into base to base with me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:29 pm 

Hi folks, it's been awhile since this thread moved so here's an update from me:

Battle Brother Maracthor's Isengard legion took on the Red Dwarves in an 1000 point underground scenario using Dungeons and Dragons maps and tiles to create an underworld labyrinth that Saruman had penetrated. It was an objective based scenario - six objectives (Codex Grey unpainted dwarves representing the objectives) where the starting positions were completely randomised.

Here's what happened:

1. Saruman's Troll took on the Red Dwarves' ally - a mighty Stone Giant (using stats of Treebeard). The Troll got pasted.

2. The Stone Giant then went on a rampage, lumbering towards a group of Berserkers. However the Berserkers felt no fear, no pain, and they hacked down the Stone Giant!

3. Meanwhile elsewhere due to the random starting positions, poor Adherin the Stormcaller began the game surrounded by Mauhur's Marauders! He quickly flattened them with Nature's Wrath and ... bravely ran away! Luckily Balin and a warband of his finest just happened to be nearby and they charged to their elven friend's aid.

4. It was a reversal of fortune at one of the other starting positions, as a warband of Orcs faced off against Boromir and an allied contingent from Gondor. The battle raged for 3-4 turns before the Orcs were wiped out.

5. Near the end of the game, Boromir charged out of the tunnels but Saruman quickly immobilised him in front of two Berserkers. The battle on that front remained inconclusive.

6. Balin faced off against Mauhur himself and was fortunate enough to kill the feared Uruk-Hai leader in the closing turns of the game. The battle at that objective also remained unfinished as both dwarves and Uruk-Hai continued to battle it out, although the dwarves had the upper hand.

7. On another front, Saruman continued to bait Gimli's warband by blasting them and then running away. Pippin, Captain of Gondor, got close enough to Saruman to throw a stone and nearly unhorsed him. Saruman's response was pretty final though - a sorcerous blast which cremated the poor hobbit! Gimli kept chasing Saruman to avenge his friend but never got close to his opponent. Vrasku's warband did battle with some stray dwarves in the tunnels but again, the battle was unfinished (although Vrasku himself killed many dwarves).

8. Gondor holds one of the objectives at the end of the game.

9. Balin and Mauhur battle it out for control of another objective near the end of the game.

10. A lone Iron Guard chases Saruman but the haughty wizard remains defiant!

In the end, the Red Dwarves won by 3 objectives to 1, with 2 objectives still being fought over or uncontested. It was a bit lucky for the Red Dwarves in some ways. BBM's Berserkers were lethal in the game, so I just kept sending in D7 dwarves against them who kept shielding and (mostly) refused to die - so he was never able to crush Balin's warband as he could have. Gimli's warband started too far away from the action and spent the entire game trying to cross the map to reinforce the Balin's warband which was under attack from 3 separate groups (and survived!)

The battle between Adherin the Stormcaller and one of BBM's Shaman was legendary. Cleric v Cleric. Staff v Pointy Staff. It went for *ages*! I thought Adherin would have been snuffed easily, but my D4 dude refused to die even when a Berserker joined the fray. Yes, he finally went down but he lasted almost to the end of the game.

BBM also had two Uruk-Hai with Crossbows stationed on one objective, and in the last 2 turns of the game, my Dwarven Rangers finally managed to shoot and kill something, leaving the objective uncontested.

It was a really good game, but the random nature of the starting positions was pretty screwy. BBM was very unlucky not to splatter Balin's warband. To be fair, I played smart (sending those D7 dwarves in to shield against the berserkers) but he was still unlucky not to smash that force. Will definitely use Dungeons and Dragons tiles in future to create an underground map. That worked well.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24